We currently offer the ability to serve a banner ad on our Android and Apple (iOS) app on certain views. We are currently integrated with AdMob by Google. Below you will find instructions on how to setup an advertisement within your custom app. Currently you can create a custom banner that goes to a website, or you can take advantage of the AdMob Network (or another ad source) where random ads are shown on your custom app giving the event the opportunity to generate some income on impressions and clicks.
- Create a Google Account if you don't already have one.
- Login or create an Admob Account. This requires you have an AdSense and AdWords account which you might already have linked to your Google Account. Just follow the instructions since the steps may of changed since the writing of this article.
- Add Payment Method For Google Ads. You won't be charged anything but they required a payment method on file. If you don't do this ads won't serve.
- Next design an ad banner if you plan on doing an Image Ad instead of a Text Ad. We recommend at least these two sizes, 1456x180 px, 640x200 px and 640x100 px to cover all mobile and tablets. Two examples are below.
Note: Contact us for rates to create these banners for you.
- Under AdMob, click Apps in the left menu and click ADD APP button on the bottom left.
- If it asks if the app was published to the Google Play or App Store, click Yes.
- Under Set up a new app, enter the name of your custom app and Select the Android or iOS version of the app. Click Add to the right of both app. Once added click NEXT: CREATE AD UNIT.
- Under Create ad unit, select Banner, enter an Ad unit name, something like the name of your app. You can modify the refresh rate if you have multiple banners for this ad. Click Save and then Done.
- After adding the first app we need to add the other app store app, either Android or iOS. Repeat steps #4-7 above for the other app store.
- After adding both apps you can confirm both were added by clicking the Apps in the top menu and viewing both apps on the left side.
- Next we need to create the actual ad for both apps. Click on the Campaigns tab in the left menu.
- Click the Create Campaign button and on Start Setup choose House Ad for Campaign Type, Percentage of impressions for Goal Type and click Continue button.
- On Select Ad Units and Targeting click Add Ad Units. Search to find your Apple and Android app and add select both of them. Click the Confirm button. Click Continue to move to next step.
- On (3) Adjust Campaign and Goal and type Name for campaign and 100 for % of total impressions. Click Save and Continue button.
- On (4) Create Ads click Create New Ad button and choose Website. Choose Image Ad under Select the type of ad you want to create. Type out Ad Name, Destination Url and click Change Image to upload the correct image, then click Create Ad button. Do this for all 3 image sizes then click Done button and Done button to complete campaign.
- After the Ad Unit has been created you will see it under the Campaigns table.
- Next we need to add both these ad units to the Exposure platform. Click on Apps in the left menu, search for the Android app and click it. Then in the left menu select Ad Units. You can either click the copy button under the Ad unit ID column, or click the Ad unit name and copy it there. It will be in the format of ca-app-pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
- Next navigate to the Event Settings in Exposure (Events -> Event -> Settings) and find the App section. Enter the two Ad Unit IDs in their respective places
- Repeat step #18-19 above for the Apple (iOS) app.
- Last we need to test if the ads are visible on both devices. You should wait a few hours to a day for ads to show up on the app.
If you don't have both devices have someone test for you. Also close out the app all the way, or wait 15 minutes for it to uncache if you recently viewed it. Navigate to an event in the app, and click Divisions. You should see the ad you added at the bottom of the app. Congrats!